Thursday 10 December 2015

High Poly Asset Modelling

The object I decided to model for my High Poly Asset, is the sword Chaoseater, which is used by the protagonist of the videogame Darksiders. 


The sword features a mixture of sharp and jagged edges, carved, organic looking faces and a mixture of different metals for the separate components of the blade.

High poly model in Maya



To create the swords basic shape, I used the Quad draw feature to get the very specific shapes that the sword has. Since the sword is asymmetrical, I had to mirror it on a different plane than other swords. This carried over into the modelling process in Zbrush, which allowed me to further enhance the quality of the blades details, especially the faces.



Completed High Poly Model

However, parts of the swords, such as the more pronounced teeth and the detailing near the hilt that I primarily modelled in Zbrush suffered distortion when they were completed and this unfortunately carried into the Low Poly model as well. 

Following the high poly models completion, I used decimation to reduce the poly count and make the low poly version.

Colour Map
Since the blade itself has two different types of metal, I broke up the blade in the colour map so I could insert so the early textures into it.

Textures applied using Quixel
Without Textures in Unreal 4

With Textures in Unreal 4


No comments:

Post a Comment