Sunday 30 November 2014

Visual Design Assignment: Insectoid Character

Assignment 5: Insectoid Character

While I was researching insects, I decided to create a creature that possessed either a symbiotic or parasitic relationship to another creature. I thought that a creature that possibly acted as a weapon and then gained some sort of power from them fighting, and this led to the idea of an insect that was also a sentient sword.
Top Half = Insect Reference
Bottom Half = Sentient Sword Reference

During the initial sketching process, the idea of this insect sword being the larvae or pupa for a large creature came about, and so I decided on a design that would theoretically allow the creature to move it's head and interact with it's wielder.
Initial Sketches

For the final design, I decided to give the insect a more irregular design to contrast with the more symmetrical shape of a sword.
Guidelines
Final Front + Side Veiws

























I also decided on a regal colour scheme, using purples and yellows to seperate the organic parts from the metal blade. I also added what would become the creatures wings to the sword as a trail of filament that would give the sword a clear arc if it was ever swung.
Final Version

No comments:

Post a Comment